Monday, December 21, 2009

Paris, Je'taime New york, I love you! pt. 1

Sorry everyone, you'll have to stretch your mind and read English because I am in America now!

I am a little late on this post because I have been so busy and exhausted (ugh! jetlag!) Well right now it is 4 in the afternoon in New York. I love it here!
So, my grandmother and I flew all day, it was so tiring, but we finally got to America, and when I saw the Statue of Liberty I wanted to cry! haha, so we got to New York Sunday afternoon, and my grandmother's brother's son and his family was there to get us. I have three cousins, Tim is 18, Leila is 21 (She was named after our great-grandmother.) and Leila has a boyfriend named Eric who is part of the family, haha. They were really nice, and I realized that my English is not as good as I thought, haha. They couldn't understand much of what I was saying. None of them could say my name right either, so they decided that here in America, I will be going by my American name, Amelia.
Walking around the streets was so strange, hearing weird voices all around! I was not used to it. They decided to take us out for an authentic Brooklyn dinner, pizza! I love pizza and I was starving, so i was excited. But then when the pizza came, it was so different! the crust was really thick and it had a meat and strange cheese on it and a lot of oil. it was unlike any pizza i have ever had, but they said that's how all pizza is in America! They also had me drink a "Shirley Temple." It was really fun, I'm pretty sure they were all humored by my reactions to eating this strange food. We went to their apartment and I laid down for a bit, and then Tim had a concert (he's in a band) and Leila and I went to it, and she made me try some American domestic beer (i rarely drink beer at all, so i knew it would be weird) The drinking age in America is 21. The beer was really cold and kind of grossish but I drank it anyways. The show was very nice, and then Leila took me around their neighborhood a bit. When the boys got back, we watched "Anchorman" and took some pictures!



This morning we woke up a little early, and started sightseeing and going to different museums. New York is so modern compared to France, but I like it. So many lights and noises and big buildings. I learned a lot about America and New York though from this. For lunch they took me to a Hot Dog stand. WEIRD! They were kind of like bratwursts, but different...I don't know.
The food is probably the hardest part of being here, i'm just not used to it. Everything is really soft and sweet, and the portions are HUGE! I feel really sick after I eat, haha. We just got back from being out today, everyone is watching a sport game on TV, and they said next time I am here I must come during Autumn so they can take me to see a "Football" Game (it is sort of like rugby, not European football, here they call football soccer.)

America is a lot different from France in every aspect, luckily everyone is really sweet to me and teaching me about America. I am even typing on an American keyboard right now, which is...weird! how many times have I used that word?
I'll keep you all updated :)

Love,
Amelia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment